Új privát üzeneted érkezett!

Katalin,

Yes I will have all my all friends at home and all my family. So won't be alone once we move back home. That's why it's so hard for me because after having so many people around me all the time now I have my husband an no one else.
Unfortunately I have to go to work now so I'll see you tomorrow and I'll answer all the other questions.
Bye for now!

Agi
Agi

I'm in a hurry. Sorry about all the misspelling!
Agi

Hello Ági
How is weather over there, here we got more than 10 cm snow by the morning. It is still coming down heavily, if it continues I will need to leave work early to make sure I get home before midnight Kép Anyway my daughter enjoys it, she loves sleighriding, even if it is only to her kindergarten. She seems to be developing some cold as well, hope it is nothing serious.
... I would also like to encourage anyone reading this, to feel free to join us in our chat - Kép I would like to hear from anyone speaking English Kép
I must go now, talk to you soon.
Katalin

Hi Katalin,

It seems like we are the only two left in this topic. Kép
It's pretty late for me now so I won't be long again. I came home from work about an hour ago (it's 11.10 pm now) and I'm totally ready to hit the bed. Lately Bence wakes up more than once a night and we get up before 7.00 in the morning. It's actually painful to get up that early. I'm not used to it at all. He was sleeping until 7.30-8.00 sometimes even 8.30 before. But since this cold and diaper rash he started getting up earlier, naps less during the day and therefore fussier all day. So I'm pretty tired.
The weather here isn't too bad now. Just the last couple of days it started to warm up a bit, it's around 0 during the day. We've had snow for a while. About a month ago it snowed for a week straight and that stayed on the ground. Than the cold came, air temperature was around -20 and the wind chill closer to -25 - - 30. So 0 is actually warm. Kép
Katalin, I'm too tired to look up the exact location of the "repules" topic. I'll do it tomorrow or you can search on the left side here. Just write in "repules" and it will bring it up for you.
Well I think I'll go to bed and see you tomorrow. Have good day since you are already at work probably. I hope Blanka won't get sick! Take care!

Agi
Agi

Hi Ági
thanks for writing in spite of your tiredness - otherwise I might have felt deserted!
Oh my God -30 is tooooooooo cold indeed. The lowest temp. I remember in my adulthood was around -20°C. More than enough!
I hope Bence will soon return to waking up a bit later once his bum is healthy again.. Kép Blanka sleeps well, and has always liked to wake up late. When she was small, she hardly ever slept during the day, rather enjoyed constant crying instead. Kép She is fairly well, runny nose but that's all. Missing Mom all the time, poor girl Kép
I am now really looking forward to the Xmas holidays, I will try to rest as much as possible. My long working days really wear me out and make me tired all the time. It can't be easy for you to go off to work in the evenings - how many hours do you do at these times? Sorry if you have earlier already said that, I am too lazy to look back... So is it your husband who puts your son to bed? Do you work every day?
I will have one more driving on Monday, hopefully not in a very big snow.
Strange how people have drifted away from here - I trust they will come back after Xmas when they will be less busy perhaps. At home, as I work full time, I would not have too much free time for Internetting either.
There are too little lakes near my home, they must be frozen up by now. I will go and see it tomorrow, I might get a little bit of skating there?
Do you live in a big town or a smaller place? What is it like?
Ági do write although I will of course understand if you also get caught up in the Xmas preparations! I will be working until 20th or 21st next week, so I will be around until then. Sometimes our Netscape Nav. breaks down which might delay my replies.
I enjoy being here anyway and chat with you.
See you again!
Katalin

Katalin and Agi! I am still here. I have got a little busy over the last couple days, but I am back now!!

I read that you guys are a little busy too. I need to ask you whether you have any plans for New Years Eve? This year we do not go anywhere I think but there is room for last minute plans, since we will stay with the grandparents, and they can babysit for us.

Agi! I am shocked to hear how cold it can get there. Reminds me of my all-time anti-favourite movie, the "Fargo". Have you seen that? It is a stupid story, but it takes place somewhere close to Minesota in the winter time. Anyway that sets my record for snow and cold. Must be hard for you to live with that. Although I guess it has romantic side as well, as you must always have white Xmas and all the winter sports you can do.

Katalin! Congratulations for your driving test. I did not have a chance to say that yet. I hope the "driving in traffic" test will be easy.

Yesterday my husband came home early as a suprise so I could finish my shopping. Tomorrow will be a treatment day for me, I try to go to my hairdresser.

I will be back, take care.
norcsa
Himesháza

Hello Girls
I am just about to leave work and go home, have just seen Nora your note. I will be back to you on Monday. Thanks Nora for your comments re. my driving! We had a busy day in here, a little Xmas celebration incl.
See you then on Monday, and have a nice weekend.
Katalin

Hi girls,

Nora, I'm glad you are still with us! Less than a week and you'll be flying over to this continet. Kép
We probably won't be doing too much at New Year's because of Bence. We don't have anybody here to look after him so we'll be staying home. I don't know if any of our friends will come over although it's probably not too exciting for anybody else to sit here and be fairly quiet because of him. So there won't be any huge parties or anything like that. Kép
The weather here is actually not as bad as it sounds. Yes, it does get pretty cold but it's a "dry" cold not like at home. Also they always show the wind chill factor on top of the air temperature and that's what makes it really shitty. The coldest since I've been here was -52 Kép but that was with the wind. Of course when it gets that cold the air is around -30 too. Kép It doesn't happen too often though to get that cold. And here in Calgary there is a warm wind that comes through the mountais from the Pacific coast called Chinook and that warms up the air by sometimes 20-30 degrees in the matter of a night. Kép So even if it gets really cold in no more than a week the Chinook comes and the cold is over. All vehicles that you can buy here come with a plug that is attached to the motor and when it gets really cold you can plug it in with an extention cord (there's outlest on the outside of the houses) so in the morning car would start.
Katalin,
Calgary is in the foothills of the Rockies and it's a pretty big city. There's close to a million people living here and the city is spread out a lot. We live in the South East end of it (there's only one more neighbourhood and after that there's the city limit) and if I drive up to my father-in-law's who lives in the North West (so at the total opposit end of the city) it usually takes me at least 40 minutes. In kilometers it's about 60-70 km's. We have big roads going through the city where you can make 100km/h but even those get really busy in rush hours. So depending on the time of the day it could take me even over an hour to get there. (But I don't visit him too often. I should say never. Kép)
Yes, I do work every day and the way it goes is as follows. I'm home with Bence during the day and when my husband gets home (usually around 6.00pm) I leave and go tho work. So I leave the dinner here for them and he feeds him, gives him a bath and puts him to bed. By the time I get to work of-course nobody's there in the office anymore but it's ok because this way I get much more work done. (no interruptions, no phone calls etc.) I usually stay for 3 hours but it's sometimes more, sometimes less. So I get home around 10.00pm. I take the dog out for a walk since I already have my jacket and everything on and if Jason's still awake we talk a bit and go to bed. For the weekends I bring work home so the difference between the week days and weekends is that on the weekends I don't go into the office. But I still work here at home. Pretty tiring but this way I can be with Bence. Otherwise I would drop him off at the daycare and pick him up after 5.00 and I would only have maybe an hour with him at night because of cooking etc.
Anyway I should go now, I've been blabing here for a long time. Just tell me to shut up. Kép
See you guys later, have a nice weekend!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Dear Ági (and All)
No pls do not shut up! I am thouroughly (spelling?) enjoying listening with you. I have never been to US/Canada, although I did have friends from these countries while I was still in UK. I enjoyed the Canadians perhaps slightly more, although one guy well he was just so strange for me ... Kép And one was really really nice Kép
SO I can now picture your days. What kind of doggie have you got? I love dogs, we have a black Belgian shepherd boy.
I am suffering too during the week, when I hardly can see my daughter. Like last night, it was the first time that she said she does not want to go to kindergarten, - so I asked her what she wanted to do instead - she said, she wants to stay home and play with Mum. I became so sad. But she does love kindergarten, and usually she misses it when she does not have to go. It's good you found a job like this, that you can be quite flexible.
For this week, I am thinking whether to take Thur/Frid off, in order to have enough time for preparations, like baking Mézeskalács Kép We will have a fairly quiet Xmas, I honestly hate a lot of rushing around at this time. Esp. that I do rush around all the time for the rest of the year! New Year's Eve, well maybe my husband will be at work (he is at the ambulance) and nowadays I have got really bad at tolerating staying up late.
Yesterday I had such a good time, there are two little lakes near my house, only 5 mins away, so I went there with Blanka to do some iceskating. I have not done that for 5-6 yrs so first it was really strange. But I got into it. The water is really shallow, so you can't sink! I would be a little worried skating at Lake Balaton - for sure! I would always think about all the water below me. Kép
Nora so are you all packed up for the flight? It seems you are being busy too -
see you girls,
Katalin

Hi Katalin,

It's pretty late for me again. All day I didn't have time to write because Bence had a 45 minute nap and other than that he was up all day. And when he's up he wants me to do stuff with him. I can't sit here and type because he wants to do it too. Kép During his nap I tried to do some laundry and also I had some office work left over from the weekend as well.
I haven't been skating for a couple of years now although here in Calgary there are skating rinks that are open all year long so I could go any time but I just don't have the time. (I don't know if you knew that in 1988 the winter Olimpic games were held here in Calgary so we have lots of winter sport facilities in the city.)
When I still lived at home I loved to go down to the Lake Ferto and skate there. It's about a 10 minute car ride from Sopron and you can skate over to Austria on the lake. Of course it only happenes when it's really cold outside but that's the beauty of it right? We always took some "forralt bor" with us in thermos (not when I was a kid but around high school) and we drunk that and and that kept us nice and toasty. Kép
Our dog is a Jack Russel terrier, he's 4 years old and he's a "nutcase". This breed was developed in England for hunting in the 1800's from the Fox terrier and the Beagle. So he kind of looks like a Fox terrier with the Beagle markings. (I'll take a picture of him and put it up here so ou can see him.) Anyway he's got all the energy in the world. Jumps up and down all the time, licks you in the face so totally crazy but we love him. He's name is Boo. We also have a kitty cat who we found on the street also 4 years ago. He was only a couple of months old at that time and we took him in. Now he's Bence's all time friend. He loves to play with him, hug him and torture him sometimes. Kép
I think the "mezeskalacs" in English is ginger bread. (I'm just reading what you wrote and answering everything. Kép)
Are you guys gonna visit lots of relatives over the holidays? Is your family still in Veszprem?(is it Veszprem?) Do you visit them often? Are you gonna have the 27th and 28th off too or will you have to go to work for two days?
Anyway, it's past 11.00 angain so I'm gonna go to bed. See you tomorrow. Take care!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hi Ági

I do look forward to seeing your dog, as I am not familiar with this type - inspite of the fact that I spent one year "dogging", taking my own Sala to a training school when he was young (and I had no baby), so I had the chance to meet many kinds of doggies. I actually sent you an email with the photo of mine, hope you get it OK.
Sala is a crazy creature as well, if you take him out for a long-long walk, he keeps running back and forth, and when you get home exhausted after 3-4 hours, he just picks up his ball and wants to play as if he had been lying down all day. He is a shepherd dog, no need to say. By the way, what is going to happen with your creature when you move back here? - My daghter loves cats (as most kids I presume) but we can't have one as my husband literally hates them. Once he kicked one in a stream from a little bridge, as he was trying to hizeleg (can you pls translate this word for me)at his foot. I think my daughter was very much shocked, just as I was, but my husband really hates even the touch of them. I do think it was too cruel, he could have moved away just as well.
No thankfully I will be off till Jan, our co. gave us 2 days extra and the rest most of us take as days off. We have a factory here so it will probably be running, but not all of us will be needed.
Well I am not planning to go to Veszprém just now, for several reasons. My brother is just about to move to his new home, also, he does live in Vp. My husb. will be working here and there during the holidays, so I could only go by train which I hate to do in winter. Normally we stay in the big house of friends when we go to Vp, but only in summertime as they have no proper heating in that particular room upstairs. SO it would be just too freezing as well. Beside that, as I said earlier, we do not have too many relatives around, so it's just going to be mutual visits to some local friends and lots of rest. And, hopefully, more iceskating, until the cold weather lasts.
Last night my driving went pretty well, that was the first time I was quite pleased with myself in this regard. Although I was still doing a couple of silly things, like nearly hitting pedestrians, but there is a lot of improvement. Kép
Ági, I was wondering, how could you just so easily skate over to Austria, were there no customs guys there? It must have been great fun. I have only been to that part of the country when I was at school.
So, what's the menu for Xmas in your house? We are going to break traditions as always, as I will be making deer meat. I prefer to have something special, which we normally don't have, especially that on 25th it will be only the 3 of us. On 26 we are invited to my father-in-law, so they are supposed to be doing the cooking.
Ági I'd better go, as this message might get too long.
I am really surprised that no one else is here beside us.
Take care,
Katalin

Hi Katalin,

Thanks for the pictures. Your puppy is very cute! (I thought you'll send some pictures of yourself too. Kép Will you later? I'd like to know who I'm writing all this stuff to here. Kép) I still need to take some pictures of Boo but he's not home during the day. My husband takes him to work every day. I'll do it tonight and I'll put it up under Agi and Bence's pictures ok? Or maybe send it to you e-mail.
So if you'll be off till January than I won't have anybody to talk to here for over a week. Kép Too bad you don't have the net at home.
Our Xmas menu will be ham. I'm not totally sure what else I'll make with it. I'm thinking I'll cook the ham but I'll serve it cold with some mayo-potato salad and french salad and deviled eggs and cheese. But I wanted to make some wine soup and that wouldn't go with the cold stuff. We'll see. I don't know. All I know is that I have a huge ham in the freezer. This will be on Christmas Eve. Christmas day and Boxing day we'll be visiting relatives so I don't have to cook. I actually really enjoy cooking but lately I don't have the time to make nice gourmet meals.
I really like wild meat though! How are you gonna make the deer? Does your husband hunt or where do you buy the wild meat?
I don't know the right term for "hizeleg" either. I guess I could check in the dictionary but I have to do some housework before Bence wakes up. So I'll see you later!

Agi
Agi

Hi girls!

I am very glad that you keep this topic alive. Pls keep doing it until I come back.

It sounds like both of you will have a quiet time during the holidays to spend with your loved ones. I think kids make the holidays especially happy.

I am sorry that I did not have time to write more over the last couple days but I am very busy. My parents came over for a pre-Xmas dinner on Sunday and it was a great fun for sarah. She received a few gifts and she was busy tearing up all the wrapping. Although she did not exactly know what is happenning she was very excited.

I am also excited about the time we come home as my sister comes home as well. I do not remeber whether I told you or not, but she lives in New York state, she studies there and also she is a babysitter. (that pays for her studies) I do not see her very often these days, we only met 2 over the last 2 years. I miss her a lot, so I can not wait to see her.

Agi! Do not make comments like that (I mean the shut up part)! I also love to read about your life and I like to know about yuur days. I enjoy reading about your family a lot. I will miss chating with you girls in the next 3 weeks, but I will be back I promise. Oh, I am packing know, I just can not find the energy. I am lucky that i do not need to bring too many things for the baby, since my sister-in-law has 3 kids so we can borrow a few things, like crib, highchair, etc.

Katalin! I hope that you can take the rest of the week off, and also that you are feeling better from ypur cold.

Happy holidays for everybody! see ypu next year, take care!!!
norcsa
Himesháza

Dear Ági

Yes I will find it boring not to be able to come to this site during the holidays, I hope someone will turn up with whom you can have a little bit of conversation.
I have been planning to bring in to work my last album of photos from home, but it's so heavy that I have only managed to do it today. I will ask someone to help me scan in some pictures, because I do feel guilty that you have not yet seen my face. Hope you won't be too terrified!!
I will put them to Ismerjük meg egymást/Nimaat, where there is already one photo. I am actually never satisfied with photos of myself, so I am very choosy, and don't like people to see photos I am not satisfied with. Anyway, hopefully by the end of the day this problem will have its solution. Kép Yes I do miss the net at home - but we can't right now afford buying a computer.
As I live near the Danube, I often go to see it esp. in the summer with Blanka, and there is a playground there, attached to a small restaurant-like place, all in open air of course. In the weekends, a man (a cook) comes to cook different meals in bogrács (!!!!) so last summer I asked him the way to cook game, and he told me what spices etc to put in if you make them as a stew for example. Of course no red pepper or marjoram suits it in his opinion. You can get ready mixed spices as well, this time I think I will just use that, as it is easier, and contains all what the meal needs. Plus you need to add some dried fruit/jam. So it will be a deer stew this time. Noooooo, my husband does not hunt! Oh dear I could imagine him going off with his gun!!He normally gets this kind of meat at Fõvámtér market, downstairs there are some more special shops. As we live quite far, he just gets some different fish and game at the same time, and goes back again once we run out! One of my colleague's father does hunt however, she has brought me a lovely lovely piece of deer 'spine' once - only because she did not know how to cook it! I did not know either, so had to gather some info, but it was worth it.
Pls do check the word hizeleg for me - maybe better to ask your husband, as I did look up the dictionary (see I am not lazy) but did not like any of the words there. KépSo it would be nice to know.
Wine soup and the deviled eggs, well how do you make them?
(Maybe we should open a recipes topic soon?...)
Ok just give me some idea please.
I nearly forgot to thank you for the photos, Boo must be a nice dog, I really would not have been able to guess how he looked like. I can more easily picture the cat! Kép So thanks again for the effort!
As I said, I will do my very best with the photos, I will straightaway run downstairs to fix it for you.
So have a good Christmas, it does seem we won't speak until January unfortunately. But we will talk then, won't we?
Bye for now,
Katalin

I just see Nora that your last note here just preceeded mine with one single minute, (how interesting!!) which means that when I was writing my stuff, I still was not able to see yours! So I apologise for not making any comments to you above. I also wish you Happy Holidays, and see you in Jan02!!!!!! Have a safe journey too.

Hi girls,

It's the night of New Years Day and I don't have time to write too much. I hope your holidays were great! Tell me about everything that happened in the last two weeks and I'll come tomorrow and give you all the details about mine. See you later and Happy New Year!

Agi

(I have a new picture in my profile)

Kép
Kép
agi

Dear Ági,
Nice to see you are still around.
Happy New Year to you and your family.
My first day at work is totally crazy, with stock-taking etc, but I will do my best and hopefully write tomorrow - so see you soon!
Until then, pls tell me about your holidays. Kép
Katalin

Hi Katalin,

I kind of thought that you won't have too much time to hang on the net on the first day after holidays. Kép So I'll start with my story and I hope I'll hear yours soon too.
December 20th was supposed to be my last work day to go into the office, but my husband didn't get home until almost 8.00pm so I was getting mad that I need to sit in the office till midnight because I won't get there until past 8.00. So when he was finally home I jumped into the car and pealed out of here and I was going a bit faster than I should've so at the end of my street I couldn't take the turn because it was pure ice so I slid into the curb and bent my wheel. The tire popped off the wheel also. So I couldn't go to work that night at all and the next day we had to take the car to the body shop. Thank God it didn't cost too much but I could't take Bence to the company's Kid's Xmas Party- which was held on the 21st morning - and I couldn't go to my Xmas party either which was also that day in the afternoon. Instead of that when the car was ready (around 4.00pm) I went into the office and worked. But after that I didn't go in until the 27th, I just brought some work home.
On the 22nd I can't remember what we did, I think my husband still worked so I couldn't get much done but on the 23rd I went grocery shopping and prepared everything for the next day. I cooked the ham, deviled the eggs (it's the "toltott tojas"Kép) and made the salads. On the 24th I made some apple strudle and was in a mad rush to prepare everything for the evening. Of course it didn't help that my in-laws came over on the 23rd and on the 24th too. But Christmas Eve I wanted to have the celebration before they get here, so around 5.00pm Jezuska came. I don't know how my parents could get everything ready without us knowing that it's them, because this is how we did it and it didn't work too well: Jason went into our bedroom with Bence and I quickly picked up all the toys out of the living room that he was playing with, than ran up and down the stairs about 50 times to bring all the gifts and put them under the tree (by this pont the sweat was running down my back, because I'm all dressed up for the eveningKép) Than I set the music but I did't want to strat it until Bence comes out, also I set the sparklers but didn't want to light them either. So it took a few seconds to figure out which one to start with. So I decided I'll light the sparklers first and then ring the bell, letting them know that they can come out. But they didn't come becuse the dishwasher was running and they couldn't hear it. So I rang the bell again, they come out, but by then the sparklers are out already. I also forgot to to start the music and the camcorder was not running either. So bottom line, I screwed up the whole thing. Next year I have to do it better because he'll understand much more of it. Other than this, the evening was nice. (I changed the picture in my profile into a xmas one)My in-laws showed up around 6.00, we had dinner together and next morning we had more gifts to open because Santa came as well. Than we went over to my husband's grandma for dinner and we were just home on the 26th. We worked between next door neighbours came over and we played a game that is kind of like Activity at home and we were sleeping by 1.00.
I got your pictures before the holidays Katalin! Blanka is so cute on the one with the snails. Kép And you look good too! You can use either e-mail addresses, the one I sent the pictures from is my home address.
Nora, I hope your trip was good and safe! Tell us about all the details when you have a minute.
Now it's getting way too long again, so it's your turn to tell the stories.Kép
See you later!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hi Ági,

It is early in the morning, I've just decided to take a few minutes to write for you before everyone else comes in (to work).
I am really and thoroughly enjoying hearing how you are getting on with life, esp. at this Xmas season! Oh dear it must have been terrible what happened with your car, lucky it was not worse. But your story made me worry as roads can be icy here too, although mainly the small ones like the streets around my home - and I am going driving on Sat. Hope I won't break that lovely new Peaugeot!!!!!
"Doing" Xmas with my nearly 4 yr old daughter was something quite different from how it was last year. She had been looking forward to her 'csomagok' as she called the gifts.
We were perhaps lucky that there were no other human beings around on the night of 24th, and lately I got into the habit of just eating the cakes, sweets etc I had prepared for this night, so there was no other cooking. That's plenty food anyway. Anyway, we went sledge riding (is it how you say it?) in the morning, with one friend + son joining us, and in the afternoon, I decided to run away from home with Blanka, and I gave one hour to my husband to put up the tree! Gifts had been packed, and after Blanka had gone out into the garden, I placed a huge bag full of the packed gifts into one corner of the living room.
I wanted to just keep pulling Blanka on the sledge for the hour, as our place is rather flat, but I was getting frozen so we ended up in the local church, just 10 mins walk from us, and endured their 'pásztorjáték' show. My daughter had never been to church before, so she was curious, but the show was very bad quality, low speaking and no proper music to it. But at least it was warm in there. After that, we slowly began heading home. Finally, my mobile was ringing, which was a sign from my husband that we may return. We did. I had to change my clothes, so did Blanka. It seemed everything was beautifully ready - we all stood there, I just had to run it to put on the lights for the tree. But I got quite a bit of shock. My poor daughter was getting crazy outside trying to run to the tree, and I was inside - realizing that my darling husband had left all the gifts in the huge plastic bad in the corner of the room! I went mad. I had to just quickly throw out everything, and some gifts I could not locate at all. They were small ones, and he turned out to have hung or stuck them upon the tree!!! Anyway that is how it started. It was lovely to see Blanka's face and how she looked at the decorated tree with wonder. She did not react the same way one year ago - she was totally amazed this time.
26th we paid a visit to my father-in-law, good food, more presents etc - and the cigarette smoke of his wife in the kitchen. uhhh....
Spent the holidays at home, visiting the local frozen-up lakes and doing some skating. That was so enjoyable, although it was strange after 6 years. It is a shallow lake so I was not scared, and the ice was very thick. No Blanka does not skate yet, she was just hanging around, or I invited some friends and the kids could play and have fun.
And I won a mobile phone just for Xmas, quite a good one! Kép
Ági I am not sure when Nora is back - I can imagine they stay on until next week? On the other hand, we are really left by ourselves here Kép aren't we.
I am glad you liked the pics, I also saw yours, - your tree was lovely, and Bence is growing fast! I was also doing a lot of photography, but it will take some time to get them develeped. Some places here produce really crap prints and I always have to argue with them about the colour quality.
By the way tell me about yourself as a photographer. I also used the holidays to read about photography stuff, and I am thinking to do a short course - to acquire some proper knowledge.
Ági do you think we could sometime have a little discussion about film types (ISO 100, 200, 400) - I am really uncertain about some issues here. Do you mind? Or maybe in email?
I'd better go, but I think anyone will forgive the length of these first messages after such a long break! Kép Kép
Have a good day, and be careful when driving pls.
Katalin

Hi Katalin,

Yes, it does look that way, that it's only the two of us left here. Kép Hopefully Nora will join us again soon.
Well, it seems like you had a bit of a stress too this Christmas. Boy would I ever be mad if I'd get my husband to do two things, decorate the tree and put the gifts under it and he would forget half! Kép(It's kind of funny too thoughKép Although I'm sure it wasn't too funny for you that night. Kép)
There's not a whole lot that I can tell you about me being a photographer because I haven't been working in my trade for over 5 years. Since I moved here I haven't been practicing it. At home I worked with my Dad who's also a photographer but in all honesty I enjoyed developing the pictures more than taking them. Although the hand made black and whites are not too popular nowadays but when I was going to school some people still took black and whites. Anyway for me all the things that you can do with a negative the photo paper and the light was the most amazing in the whole thing. I guess that's my atristic side. (I like to draw and craft a lot too) But sure, just ask me (in e-mail too if you want) about films and I'll answer if I can.Kép
I need to go now because Bence and I just got home from shopping and he's having a nap and I should use the time to put everyting we bought away. So I'll see you tomorrow!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hello Ági

Nice to hear from you - I am just being glad at the moment that it is already Friday, I am already so tired!!!!
I am not sure what I will do in the weekend, I will be going driving tomorrow that's for sure. I am a bit nervous, it is nearly like starting again after two weeks of break.
It seems the lakes will still be frozen up, this morning it was 14 °C below zero...so there is hope for good ice skating!
That's all for now I'm afraid, my boss has given me a huge task, I need to make a report so I must get back to work.
I will think about my exact photo questions Ági, and some time I might write an email. The trouble is, that everyone so far, has said different things about diff. films - so I am feeling confused. Last one is, that Kodak Supra ISO 400 is BETTER quality (finer grain, better colors) than plain GOLD ISO 100. Someone else also at a photo shop, said that SUPRA is basically no better quality in prints of 10x15 - she meant, in this size quality is not so noticable, so it is not really worth spending extra for SUPRA films. How can I know then? Do you perhaps have any experience?
So Ági I hope you will have a nice weekend, and see you next Monday.
Kati

Hi Kati,

It's 11.30 pm here again, and I didn't want to leave you without a note but I won't be long because I'm pretty tired. I just finished some work that I brought home for the weekend.
How was driving? Who goes with you when you go for practice rides? Your husband? How is he in the car when you are driving? Because when I was at this stage my Dad came with me and he was awful. He was complaining about absoultely everithig that I did so one day I said enough, and I took the car all by myself. (And I drove it into the ditch because it was dark and I did's see how close I was to it. Kép) Anyway, you have to practice because otherwise you'll just scare yourself away from it. My Mom didn't want to listen to Dad (and never took the car alone) therefore she hasn't been driving in the last 20 years.
I'll tell you more about the films tomorrow but I have to go to bed now. Talk to you later!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hi Ági
It's nice that someone is always writing back to me, thanks!
Driving on Sat was ok, but I did silly things again like overtaking a cyclist at a zebra crossing ( I could hardly see the white painting on the road because of the dirty snow scattered all over Kép -- and I always get mixed up at a complicated road crossing in the middle of Vác. However many other things are much better, so I am slowly gaining confidence... I am driving the instructor's Peaugeot, he is sitting beside me, and you know, he also has all the pedals so he is safe - as long as I use the steering wheel properly! I used to go out driving with my husband in the beginning, just to get used to driving, but he was shouting all the time, and got scared even when something I could have hit, was still far away... he did not like the fact that he was left totally without pedals and he had no control over the car. I don't think I will do much driving beside him, because I prefer doing things by myself - also it is a different car that we have, so I need to learn that first, so I hope he will help me in that. He has no patience really, for such things. My instructor is quite good, does not get nervous etc, although constantly telling me off.... i mean, he only utters a word if i have done something wrong... Kép but I normally manage to remember these instructions and they help. I am sure I will not pass at the first occasion ... Kép I can't be that lucky. I will surely do something silly.
Do you go to bed so late every day? I am unable to stay up so late these days... last night I put my daughter to bed really early, as we had to get up early today, but she was still up at 10.30pm! I was getting crazy, normally she sleeps in very easily.
In the weekend, I had another good skating session, I really enjoyed that. My daughter was playing with a friend's little son at the same time, so she left me in peace.
I am still hesitating where to get my film rolls developed, so no new photos yet - sorry. Kép
I'd better get back to work - it is still well below zero here - what about temperature in Calg.? Has Bence learned to use the spoon by now or all your nice walls are a different colour perhaps? Kép
See you soon Ági,
Kati

Hi Kati,

Thanks for answeing me even though you are really busy at work.
I didn't realize eralier that you are still doing your driving practice. Sorry! My story yesterday (driving into the ditch) was of course after I already had my license. KépOtherwise my Dad wouldn've let me take the car all by myself.
I'm not sure what's wrong with Bence, I put him down for a nap and he's screaming his head off so I have to go now. If I still have time I'll come back later.

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hi Ági
Hope Bence has calmed down and he is a happy boy again...
I did take our car once all by myself, still in the beginning of my driving career - I drove out of the garden, went up until the end of the street, turned back and safely returned. Kép
The sun is finally shining today, melting my lovely ice on the lake at home Kép
Imagine what I am considering now - buying a computer! I have not yet an idea about prices, and whether it really is worth to buy one, as I can use the computer here at work basically for everything, but for times like Xmas, sick leave etc I get even more sick not having access to internet!!!! So I will go find out prices soon Kép Hopefully a simple machine will be good enough, as I am not planning to execute serious tasks just for the time being. I really would need to speak to some expert, as I have absolutely no idea...
Waiting to hear from you soon,
Kati

Hi Kati,

Well, yesterday I didn't have any more time to come back to the net. He didn't nap at all in the afternoon. I tried to put him onto our bed with me laying down with him but that didn't help either. He was just fussing so we got up, ate some fruit and he was ok after that but of course really tired. Than I went to work and didn't get home until almost 11.00 pm and I didn't want to hang on the net at that time because I can't just come and go. I have to read all the different topics so I rather went to bed. Kép So I totally understand when you are saying that you have problems being away from it for a few days. Therefore it's great news that you'll may be buying a computer for home!! Kép Unfortunately I can't be any help for you to decide what kind would be the one that suits your needs because I have no idea either. Kép Or rather Kép
The weather warmed up a lot here too. The last couple of days we had +15 so all the snow melted and the roads and cars are a mess from the melting slush.
You asked about how Bence is doing with the spoon. Well, not bad. He's actually wanting to do it himself now. I didn't have to force him at all. So when we sit down to eat he gets a spoon too and even though I feed him and that's what fills his tummy, he's trying to put some food into his mouth. When he starts to touch the food (eg. fozelek) with his hands than I just take it away from him because I don't like the mess and really, he doesn't need to play with the food. He'll learn that those kind of foods are being eaten with a spoon. At least I hope he'll learn. Kép
About the films. I'm sure you know that the number means how sensitive the film is. As the number gets higher the sensitivity of the film grows. And also the more sensitive the film gets the grainier it is. So if you buy 400's and want to have large prints you can expect the picture to be pretty broken up because you'd be able to see the grains. (which are the silver grains on the film - the silver is the one that makes it light sensitive- (on all light sensitive materials, papers as well). So depending on what kind of pictures you'd want to take (inside or outside shots and what kind of light you'll have you can decide on the sensitivity of the negative. I would say for good results on postcard size prints you can safely use 200's. That will be sensitive enough but not too grainy. Anyway it's actually easier for me to explain things is Hungarian because all the special words that we learned were in Hungarian and because I haven't been practicing the trade here I don't know all that in English. So if you have some specific questions you can send me a mail.
But I should go now because I need to make Bence's lunch so he can eat when he wakes up. See you soon Kati!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hello Ági

Oh dear it is a long time when we last had +15°C over here. Kép It was -11°C this morning again at my place!!!! Hungary is getting colder than Canada?
Do people eat fözelék in C? I thought it was quite specially a Hung. invention, until my Indian friend sent me a potato meal recipe, and once I made it, it turned out to be exactly like our krumplifõzelék... she only added yoghurt, that was the basic difference. Is food in C very different from Hungarian? What is the biggest difference?
I hardly ever make fözelék. Maybe with French beans only, or pumpkin fözelék. Otherwise I have picked up a lot of other sort of meals from health food books, and other sources.
Right, my main problem re. films is the following: right, I understand that normally in summer I can use ISO 100 - but is it good if suddenly I end up taking photos in the evening inside the house?...
Or: I am now using ISO 400 in the winter, they said it is better for flash too, as the background won't stay in darkness so much, and I am using Kodak Supra, so grain quality should be better (I can notice grains in Kodak GOLD400 and I hate it) - But then again, what happens with this film on a bright sunny, perhaps snow covered outside place?...
How much more sense is in using 200 in the above circumstances? I always buy 36 shot films, so they last longer and photographic circumstances can greatly vary during the use.
Well these are my main concern - also I don't know how films react if I use fill flash for summer outdoor pictures?
If you want you can write about these in Hung. to my email address, if it is easier for you, I did not do that this time, as the matter was not so difficult yet to explain in Hungarian.
That has to be all for now, so talk to you later.
Kati

Hi Kati,

I won't be too long because I have quite a few things to do.
Yes, I guess it seems like the weather is warmer here than at home. Kép Actually it's not much different usually than at home except it gets colder in the winter and the winter is longer. But the rest of the seasons are pretty much the same.
No, the fozelek isn't a known dish here but I make it because I don't mind it and Bence seems to like it as well. Actually I'm not sure what kind of food would be the one that is tipically canadian. Hamburger and steak I guess. Kép But seriously, all restaurants carry those and soups and sandwiches. I usually make hungarian dishes at home, my husband likes them a lot. Like nokedli and porkolt etc. Also I like chinese, thai and indian cooking. And seafood as general. But I eat those in restaurants because I don't know how to make them really good. Actually talking about cooking, I got an awsome set of German steel shef knives from my husband for Christmas. It's got 6 different knives in it and I love using them. (Right after Xmas all my fingers had band-aids on them Kép)
What kind of dishes do you like to make? Do you like to cook? Do you guys eat at home, or at "menza"?
About the films: because of the length of a film and the different images and different circumstances I would suggest to use the 200's. It still gives you a fairly good result outdoors and indoors as well. So I wouldn't go to the extemes unless I'd know I'll only be taking - let's say - outdoor shots on the whole film. Otherwise just go for something in-between like 200.
Why would you want to use flash for summer outdoor shots? You mean like -let's say- standing under the trees and the sun shines from behid and gives a nice silouette of the hair and you'd want the face to be nice and bight as well? In that case yes, you can use the flash.
Ok, it's a good thing I said I won't be long. I need to go. Talk to you later!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hello Ági,
Thanks for writing, only you did not say how Bence has survived the vaccination yesterday. Is he ok? Hope he is.
I am happy that you reassured me for using the 200 film. I believe I would not mind using 100 in summer when I know 99% I would take outdoor shots, or 400 for winter when there is not so much light. Anyway I will soon see the results, when my pro Kodak Supra 400 will get developed. Kép
Re food, ... I used to enjoy cooking, but as I have so little time at home nowadays, I try to reduce time spent in my kitchen. I like to make egytálételek, or stewy food with brown rice. Not so much meat though, I prefer fish. Seafood is very expensive over here, but I used to eat lots and lots of sprawn back in UK, I love that. I do love international cousine and am not so keen on traditional hung. food. I have a wholefood cookery book, I like these food, and I have an Indian friend in UK who visited me in Aug, so she gave me some easy & useful recipes with beans for example. I hardly ever cook meat, if my husband wants to eat it, he makes it for himself, as he spends a lot of time at home so he can do it. But normally he does not mind eating my type of food. But he likes szalonna (good traditional white szalonna!!) so when he does not seem to be getting enough meaty food, he makes up for it with szalonna. One of my favourite meals is red lentils Indian style (using garam masala), brown rice and yoghurt to go with it. Also, I need to watch my weight so I don't like to eat too much carbohydrates, bread and bakery etc.
Your knives should be good - does your husband ever cook?
We have a canteen at work, with quite good food and choice for dishes, so I eat there, my daughter is at kindergarten so I never ever cook in the evenings. It is 6.30 by the time I get home so I would not even feel like it. At night we normally eat cold food, but mostly easy stuff like yoghurt, kefir, fruits, dried fruit like figs, dates, I like them and they are healthy too.
Ági, do you have any kids music/nursery rhymes on cd/tape that you could perhaps recommend? I intend to buy something for my daughter (in English) but selection is so large at Amazon, and I don't know any of them. It would be great if you could give me some recommendations.
I must say it is nice to be chatting with you - your English is good, even though it is not your native language. I actually suffer every time when foreigners are speaking/writing their English - right now, I have a huge material to study, from many parts of the world, and it is written in such a bad English that it literally irritates me - not to mention that some parts are impossible to understand because of that!
Have a good day, talk to you later,
Kati

Ági,
sorry I forgot sg: the flash in summer! Yes, it is mainly intended for removing little shadows from the faces - I think this is called fill flash in English? Last summer I was not aware of this possibility and finally someone explained - I was a bit disappointed though, as I prefer things natural and leave out flashes, but in this case I guess I have no choice. Even spot metering did not solve my problem. I still need to learn a lot in photography I think!
(Also, you can't really photograph my black doggie without a flash)

Hi Kati,

Now I'm not sure if people think this topic is just for the two of us and that's why they don't say anything or else it's really just the two of us who want to practice English. (Actually I have plenty of other places to practice but I enjoy talking to you Kép) I understand what you are saying about bad English being annoying. I'm kind of the same way. And you wouldn't beleive how many people live in this country and speak very little or no English at all. I kind of had to learn because otherwise I wouldn't be able to speak to my husband. Kép And also it would bother me a lot to live here and not be able to live a full life because I don't understand what other people say. Your English is great and I can totally understand that you are trying to use all opportunities to practice it because you can forget it fast. Did you speak any English when you went to England? Is your pronounciation British? Mine is North American. I don't know if you've seen the movie "Full Monty"? (I think it's spelled like that..) It's about some Britt factory workers who lose their jobs and become strip dancers. Well the accent they spoke was kind of like Cokney (is it spelled like that?) and I had a really hard time to understand it. Same with Braveheart (with Mel Gibbson) or the other Scotish subject movie (I can't remember the title) with Liam Nielsen and Jessica Lang. Although they they had scotish accents but I still had to listen very carefully to understand it.
I'm trying to think what I said that made you think that Bence was getting vaccinated? No, he didn't.
I know what you mean by not having enough time to cook. I was the same way when I was working full time after Bence was born. (I only did it for 4 months but that was enough. Never had time for anything at home.) But now I really enjoy being at home. This way nice and slowly but everything gets done. Yes, my husband does cook sometimes. Usually in the weekends. He's a pretty good cook and it's nice sometimes that I don't have to worry about dinner. We do eat a lot of meat though, because for my husband a meal isn't a meal without meat in it. Yesterday I made mushroom porkolt with nokedli and he ate it but he wasn't too keen on it. Meals like pasta, if there's no meat in the sauce he doesn't eat it it. Or stuff like turo gomboc, that's dessert for him. It drives me nuts sometimes because it's pretty hard to come up with something new with meat every day.
About kid's songs: well, I just bought a CD for Bence for Xmas but it's not too good. It's got the most known songs on it but I don't like the music too much. I actually bought it so Jason can sing with him too becuse we (Bence and I) only listen to his Hungarian CD's. I'm trying to be consitant and use only hungarian with him. Even in music. So I'm not sure if you'd want to know the titles of songs that are good? I don't know very many of them, but they advertise some kid's CD's on tv and the most known songs are here like: Incy wincy spider, Hush a bye baby, Row row row your boat, Heads and shoulders knees and toes, I'm a little teapot, The muffin man, If you're happy and you know it.., There was a farmer, Twinkle twinkle little star. I can only remember these. Some of them are maybe not even the titles of the songs but the first lines. (eg. "There was a farmer and his dog and Bingo was his name" the title could be Bingo. I'm not sure) Are you gonna try to teach Blanka some English? Did you ever think about getting some degree and work in the field of English? Or you just like to use it but it doesn't interest you that much? I'm thinking when we move home I'll get my degree as an English teacher.
Do you already know when you'll have a computer at home? Or it's still just an idea and you haven't decided totally whether to buy it or not?
Ok, I've been blabing here for a long time again. It'll take you half of the morning just to read it. Sorry! Kép
Talk to you soon!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hello Ági,
I was also thinking yesterday that maybe we should go into private correspondance in email as this topic has got quite funny with only the two of us being here. But as I see, people don't seem very hesitant in suddenly joining in topics with their remarks, and we don't talk about anything that might put someone off? So I guess there is no real interest Kép I am surprised you are still here, as yes you do get enough practice in Canada! But as I said earlier I am happy that you are here and keep me company, and I hope we will meet some day in real life too. Kép
Oh sorry, I did mix up this vaccination business. Another friend of mine is the one concerned, she has a similar age kid as Bence, so that's where my memory went wrong. And she was telling me about it in email. Sorry for confusing you!
Re computer, first I need to talk to an expert who can help me in deciding on what kind of equipment I exactly need to buy (for my purposes) -which is right now largely the internet but who knows what future brings? Also we seem to be getting some bonus money here at work so I thought of using that, but I don't as yet know how much it is Kép
Re kids music, well I would say I know most of the songs, I even have my favourites, my problem mainly is with quality of performance. Also, I hate sing-along-music, where 1 song may be shortened to 30 secs and they are all bound together without any break. So this is mainly that I want to avoid. What is the cd that you bought? (at least if you think it's not so good, I won't buy it) - what kind of Hung. cd's have you got (for Bence)? Halász Jutka? what else?
Re English, I definitely don't speak any American accent! It's more closer to British I guess! I also met some funny accents like the geordie in UK, north-ish UK, aaaaawful to understand. Cockney, I don't know it so well. But I love the Scottish, presume it's because I have known quite a few Scots. Irish is good too, but for some funny reason, I tend to mix the two. (I mean, I cannot decide which one I hear)
Long time ago I did think of becoming an English teacher, but then I went to UK - now I don't think I would have the energy for something like that. I hope you will succeed! I love speaking English and all that, and that's why I am here. I watch CNN, Sky News and other English language tv, and print stuff out from the internet in English in order to practice. But that's all. - I had a középfokú nyelvvizsga when I went to UK, but speaking was another matter. Took me about a year to get into it. Then I took a Cambridge Advanced in London, which I honosittattam for a felsöfokú over here in '94. For work, no one ever asked for my certificate ever Kép Employers seem only to be interested in whether you speak or not, and what other educational certificates you possess (diploma). But it is better to join a private language school, ordinary teachers earn very little money in H. You can fairly easily join such a private language school with the above conditions, you will have to work hard but will be paid very well.
I would die having to cook meat so often... Kép but I suppose if you have a beloved husband, it is easier ...
Ági I could keep on chattering, but I'd better stop - with a hello to everyone out there, in case anyone wants to chat here in English, please anyone feel free to join us - I am happy to chat about anything Kép

ps/ Ági one more question: how do you say "bejárás" (mint helyszini szemle, körbejárás, ellenõrzés) in English? We are in a dispute here at work!
Kati

HI Kati,

Just a short little note for you because I'll have to go to make dinner and bath Bence and put him down to sleep and after that I have to do payroll or otherwise our sales people won't get paid this month. Kép
The CD that I bought for Xmas is upstairs so I'll give you the title tomorrow ok?
Not too much happened to us on the weekend. I went to the dentist yesterday and they ground my tooth and gave me a temporary crown. My final one will be done next Saturday. After that I went and got a couple of passport photos of me because I want to apply for a canadian citizenship and I'll need those for that and from there I went into the office and I was there until 8.00 pm. (I didn't go in on Friday because I was tired so I had to go in on Saturday..)
And today was the cleaning day at home and we undecorated the christmas tree because it was bone dry and was losing needles like crazy.
How was you weekend? Could you go skating? Or the ice on the lake is all melted? My sister told me she went skating today because around Sopron the lakes are still pretty solidly frozen.
Sorry I'm not too long today but I have lots to do. I'll talk to you tomorrow!

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hello Ági,
I came in to work early today, because I need to leave early on Wednesday so I have to make up for the hours - it's only 6am! Still dark outside. Yes I did go skating, both days during the weekend, and thouroughly enjoyed it. I think skating was really invented for me! Temp. is still 3-4 degrees below zero so no problem with the ice. If I had known cold would last for so long (last year this small lake did not get frozen at all), I would have bought some skates for my daughter. Now I am more or less tempted to believe it is not worth buying - you can get adjustable ones but still. They are just as expensive as adult sizes.
SO, Blanka just needs to put up with this situation... Kép
Hopefully, fingers crossed, next week I will be off for my final driving test. I am truly getting fed up now with wondering about in Vác with my instructor - and paying all the loads of money to him Kép
You asked me earlier on whether I am trying to teach Blanka some English - yes of course I do. But not with too much luck, unfortunately. I should have done it when she was smaller. And usually I am too tired to do it. Now she is "too clever" and sometimes she hates it when she does not understand me. It's disappointing. I wish I knew a way - also I don't spend much time with her now during the week, that makes it harder too. I don't want to give it up though, I will teach her what I can, at least she gets a little bit used to it.
I'll talk to you again!
Kati

Hi girls, I am happy that you are still here. I have arrived home last week, but I did not get to the computer yet. I can see, there is a lot to read here. I am very happy that you kept the topic alive.

I have a few things to write about our trip, but I will only do that tomorrow. I am extreamly tired, because my daughter has a huge jetleg, so she is up all night, and I only get 3-4 hours of sleep each day. I kepp myself on a minimum level.

Now, I will try to catch up on what you wrote so far.
norcsa
Himesháza

Hi girls!!!

Nora, Welcome back! I can't wait to hear about your trip. I won't ask a buch of questions, just tell us everything. (Including the security at the airports too please. Kép)

Kati,
I'm sorry I didn't write yesterday but I had no time at all. Bence had a 1/2!!! hour nap all day and at night I was in the office until 11.15. So by the time I got home I had no energy. I'm sorry!
I've been meaning to respond to your earlier comment on meeting you one day. You mentioned that you are hoping that once we move back home maybe we could meet in person. Yes! I'd like that too. Kép
Also you asked what kind of hungarian CD's we have for Bence. I have a mix, the best of Halasz Judit. Also I have a Kalaka where they sing Tamko Sirato poems like Tengerecki Pal and I got a 100 Folk Celsius tape from one of my friends at home. That's also a mix from different albums. I like them and Bence too. (That's the main thing anyway. Who cares if I like it.. Kép)
My english one is upstairs again and I'm too lazy to go and get it. I promise I'll give you the title tomorrow.
I hope you'll pass your final test tomorrow. Or actually it's already today for you. If I remember right that is the reason why you take the afternoon off right?
Anyway I'll go to bed now and I hope I'll hear from both of you tomorrow!

Agi
Agi

Hello Ági and Nora!!!
Nora I am so glad you are here again !!!(not as if we hadn't had a good time here with Ági,... Kép - anyway we were missing you, esp. that I had no idea when exactly you are returning.I will look forward also to hearing your stories and how it went, did you have a good time, and about your flight etc.
Ági I am going actually to meet someone this pm, & will be driving Thurs/Sat - hopefully final test is next week. So sorry if I was not clear. It seems my driving will never end!!!!It is hard to go driving/concentrating when I get up so early every day (4.30 today) - so I just get exhausted by the evening. I know this is not an excuse - but it is always harder when you are only learning something...
I plan to take my photos for developing today too.
Ági it will be lovely to meet you some day, I look forward to it.
I must go now, K

Hi girls,

I find extremely useful to have a topic like this, mainly becase during the pregnancy and the GYES (what's the English name for it?) mothers need to polish their English.

I would appreciate your opinion concernig the following: Do you think is it a good idea to speak to the newborn baby in English, thus she/he will speak not only in Hungarian but also in English? Or is it just a hypothesis? I mean does it work in the reality? Do you have such experience?

Looking forward to your answers
regards, Blinczi
blinczi

Hello Blinczi!! (and All)!
WOW a new person at last, welcome among us Blinczi and hope you will stay around? I was just going to shut down Babanet when I saw someone has added a new comment to my favourite topic so I read it.
Are you new at this site? I mean, I don't remember having seen your 'name' yet... Anyway, I am a working mum of a nearly 4 year old little lady (see her photo at Ismerjük meg egymást)... who is attending kindergarten happily. In the meantime, I am making efforts, although small ones, to try and get her pick up some English from me. I realize now sadly that I should have started the teaching right in the beginning. Kép
What age is your little one? You say new born, but what age exactly? Is the baby really so little? I actually don't think the language matters THAT much for a few months old, but my humble opinion NOW is that better to do it as early as possible. I failed only because I considered myself silly/stupid etc talking in English by myself and my husband not understanding a single word. To put it briefly, I got totally discouraged as time went on. I regret it greatly. I am trying to catch up now.
Blinczi, let me advise you to keep up with the English to your best! I realize now that it is not a valid argument when someone says that it is not a good thing for kids to learn a foreign language from someone whose native tongue is NOT the concerned language - right, the child might not learn Oxford or perfect American English. I believe that any amount of language knowledge can be perfected later! Let me give you an example. I have a friend in Egypt, and during his life he has picked up 3 other languages besides his Arabic - speaks very good French (from his parents), fairly good English (other sources), and some Italian, also from family members. I think he is a lucky man. Also, most probably, any time he would like, he could sit down and improve his skills. So I am not going to be reluctant in my advise - go ahead Blinczi, your child will be grateful when he/she grows up! Does your husband speak English as well?
Other points: I am not so sure about writing skills though. But when the child is bigger, it will be easier for you to find the right education for him/her.
Then, Ági can tell you more about it surely, more than me, she has more experience Kép
Sorry if this has got a little bit too long, but I wanted to be detailed, as I really feel guilty about how I missed the opportunity with my daughter which will never come back..Kép
Hope you stay with us Blinczi and tell us more about yourself. Where did you learn your English?

Ági: see, we just needed to be patient and we aren't alone.
See you guys soon,
Kati
(GYES in English, is it 'maternity leave' Ági??...)

Hello everybody,

Yes, Kate, you are right, I am brand new at this site and thanks for drawing my attention to introduce myself.

So, I am a 34 week pregnant 26 years girl and my little one is to be delivered at the end of February. I am on maternity leave (I have already learnt sg) here in Hungary and can not help thinking of my baby all the time.

I have read a lot of books and articles on babies and their improvements, developments. Among them there are some which express the effectiveness of developing different skills at the very beginning and they prove it by examples. E.g. a newly born baby was listening classical music a lot, althoug their parents did not play any instrument what is more they said to be tone-deaf, however the baby had a musical carreer and became a famous violinist. Ok, may be this one is not a too convincing example, but this was the one coming into my mind.

Anyway, I intend to speak English to him, however I strongly agree to Kati, that it is a bit unnatural and I am afraid that after a while I would feel silly. What is more my husband does not speak English, so it does not make it easier.

About the prounanciation, the correct langauge structure and being a non-native I have no fear. I guess the babies have the global knowledge, perspective on these, thus they will not make the same mistakes as I do. Or may be just when they start to talk, when they just imitating, later they will speak correctly. Let"s not forget that children of dumb people can also speak the given language without major problems.

Another silly example: According to the historicals, Mozart"s mother often sang to her child, althoug her tone was false, left much to be desired. And we know that it did not influence Mozart musical skills in a wrong way, what is more he often mentioned that these mother songs helped him to be intrested in music.

If I just achive by my silly talking in English that my baby would be more responsive to languages, I would be satisfied.

What do you think? Am I correct?

Kati, thanks for your detailed opinion, I am glad for it.

I am sorry for the mistakes I made, but unfortunately I have no time to revise my letter now.
But I promise I come back later and read all I can about you. May be one day I can be one of your partner in this English course.

There is another thing I would like to discuss if you do not mind. I am a bit afraid of childbirth. As a matter of fact I am horrified, thanks for the awfull stories. Pls. help if you have positive experiences. I have already heard a lot of negative ones.

Ok, I finish, since I do not intend to write the second Pun and Punishment. And I am on the right way.

Regards, Ildi
blinczi

HI everyone,

First of all I'd like to say a few words to our new addition to the topic. Kép (I'm talking about Ildi)
Where did you learn such a good English? I think if you speak it so well it shouldn't be a problem for you to use it with your baby. My situation is a bit different. I live in Canada with a canadian husband who doesn't speak Hungarian. So we set it up in a way that I speak ONLY Hungarian to Bence and Jason speaks English. Bence is 15 months now and he understands both languages and tries to say things in both as well. Eg. when my husband leaves the house he waves and says "ba-ba" and to me he says "pa-pa". Kép I don't really have a lot of reading material on how to raise a bilingual child but as far as I know you should be consistant because he'll connect the language to the person. That's why I NEVER use English when I talk to him. Of course he hears me speak it but when I say something TO him I switch over to Hungarian. So I don't know how good it would be if you'd only use it every once in a while.
Before I had Bence I was terrified from giving birth. I knew my pain tolerance level is really low but I was also affraid of epidural because I have scoliosis and I didn't want something to go wrong and I'd be paralyzed for life. I couldn't imagine how the baby will come through such a tight space without me dying. So I think because I was ready for the worst it wasn't that bad. Beleive me! The pain started like a very mild menstrual cramp that comes, gets stronger, peaks and goes away. And once it's gone everything is normal. My labour started at 1.00 am and I slept till 6.00. At that time it was more comfortable to get up so I went and had a shower which felt really great on my back and we went into the hospital at 7.30. They checked me and I was already 4-5 cm's dialated. The only problem for me was my blood pressure. I have high blood pressure which was kept under control all the way through my pregnancy but during labour it went up a lot. So I couldn't be in the shower or couldn't walk around and when I was about 8 cm's dialated I had to take the epidural because that lowers the blood pressure. Otherwise I decided I'd only take painkillers if I absolutely can not handle the pain anymore. And at 8 cm's I wouldn've had it because of the pain! (I'm reminding you my pain tolerance level is low! I can cry for 20 minutes if I pintch my finger with the drawer!Kép) So the epidural worked for about 1 1/2 hours but because of the curv in my spine I started to feel the pain in my right side again and I could feel that all the way to the end. Bence was born at 4.07 pm and a minute after he was born I said I would do it again! It's the greatest thing in life and it's sooo worth the pain! So anyway you probably don't have high blood pressure and scoliosis so everything will be OK! ( I know I didn't beleive anybody who told me this before but it's true!) Kati, actually I'd like to hear your birth story.
Anyway I have to go now and Ildi if you read back a bit in this topic you'll find the details about us, or if you click on my name above you can see my profile. Also I have a photo album under Ismerjuk meg egymast - Agi es Bence kepei.
I hope we'll hear from you again.

Agi

Kép
Kép
agi

Hi girls,

As I realised it is not common to write silly jokes on this site, however this one is really good, so I decided to share it with you:

Surviving a shipwreck

On a beautiful deserted island in the middle of nowhere, the following
people are suddenly stranded by, as you might expect, by a shipwreck:

2 Italian men and 1 Italian woman
2 French men and 1 French woman
2 German men and 1 German woman
2 Greek men and 1 Greek woman
2 English men and 1 English woman
2 Bulgarian men and 1 Bulgarian woman
2 Japanese men and 1 Japanese woman
2 Chinese men and 1 Chinese woman
2 American men and 1 American woman
2 Irish men and 1 Irish woman

One month later on the same absolutely stunning deserted island
in the middle of nowhere, the following things have occurred:

One Italian man killed the other Italian man for the Italian woman.

The two French men and the French woman are living happily together in a
menage-a-trois.

The two German men have a strict weekly schedule of alternating visits
with
the German woman.

The two Greek men are sleeping with each other and the Greek woman is
cleaning and cooking for them.

The two English men are waiting for someone to introduce them to the
English woman.

The two Bulgarian men took one long look at the endless ocean,
and another long look at the Bulgarian woman, and started swimming.

The two Japanese men have faxed Tokyo and are awaiting instructions.

The two Chinese men have set up a pharmacy, a liquor store, a restaurant
and a laundry, have gotten the woman pregnant in order to supply
employees for
their store.

The two American men are contemplating the virtues of suicide because
the
American woman keeps endlessly complaining about her body; the true
nature
of feminism, how she can do everything they can`t do, the necessity of
fulfilment, the equal division of household chores, how sand and palm
trees
make her look fat, how her last boyfriend respected her opinion and
treated her
nicer than they do, how her relationship with her mother is improving,
and how at
least the taxes are low and it isn't raining.

The two Irish men divided the island into North and South and set up a
distillery. They do not remember if sex is in the picture because it
gets
sort of foggy
after the first few litres of coconut whisky. But they're satisfied
because
at least the English aren't having any fun.

I hope you do like it.
I will be back soon and react your letters.
Ildi
blinczi

Hello girls,
well,... my birth story...Dear Ildi, I love my little daughter so much, that any pain was worth for her. And no one dies from these pains anyway - even though they may be great - but that is a different type of pain. I kept consoling myself that it is a HEALTHY and NORMAL pain, there is nothing 'kóros' about it. It is not like when you have a broken bone and you know that it will take time to heal etc. Doctors are there anyway, so if sg goes wrong, the can act immediately.
OK Ildi I think I am not going to say too much to put you off! Worst part of my pregnancy/birth giving was the cukorterheléses vizsgálat (in English please)!!!!!!! I can't forget that horrible sugary taste for hours on....
During pregnancy, I never cared about meditating upon the issue. It somehow did not occur to me to consider my birth giving.
However, I overcarried my daughter, and I was given two extra weeks. After 10 days, my doctor promised to artificially start off my delivery on a Thursday - then, 5 am on Tuesday, I began feeling a special pain at my back. SIlly me, I did not recognise the sign! Neither did my husband. We went to the hospital at 7am, as I had to go there every single day for my amnioscopia (?), and finally we voted for not taking any of my belongings! We gathered it was not time yet.... Usual tests were done on me, they put on this fájáserõsségmérõ too, as I mentioned to the nurses that I seem to have some sort of pain Kép Then, silly doctor of mine, did not notice the piece of paper with test results, although it must have been obvious. She was already saying good bye to me when I told her about my pain. I had to go back, she checked me, and realized I was 2 cm dilated. She was shocked! (So was I) My husband was planning to go and buy shoes, but instead, she ran home (by train) to pick up my prepared luggage. I had to be walking up and down the corridor from 10 to 12, as all rooms were full, but that was OK with those pains. Around 12 I was let in among other birth giving women, and pains were getting stronger and more regular. I was in one room, no towel etc, although I was advised to take a shower. I remember I was holding onto the wall when pains were coming - it was not such a pleasant thing really.
At 2.30pm doctor decided to "rupture the membranes" (dictionary!)and from then on, I was totally stuck to the bed. Pains got stronger and I told myself, next time I ever get up from here, will be strictly without the baby in me!
Somehow, however strong the pains were, I do not remember suffering. I remember myself when screaming etc and shouting and asking if I was going to die, but this kind of pain is not possible to be described. I remember, I started to breather really fast and all my fingers got numb. I got quite scared, but this nice young doc. told me the reason so slowly things got better. At 4.55pm Blanka decided she had enough inside. Pushing her out was typically a pleasant experience, perhaps the easiest part. I had asked for this inhalated gas as painkiller, but it helped mostly in a psychological level, not physically. It does not take the pain away, you do feel it as normal, but takes you in a little bit 'elevated' state, when you don't concentrate on it so much, so pain is survivable. In fact, after birth I thought I would not have endured the pains without it, but I think I would try it without the gas next time. My husband told me earlier that it is quite a good idea, he works for the ambulance and many cases they use this gas. As soon as you stop breathing it in, its effect ceases, and there is no harm for the baby or yourself, it leaves your body immediately. Epidural I was afraid of that prick in my back and the funny feeling of not feeling that part of my body properly. And, what if they make a mistake when giving it? However, medical claim that epidural is still much less harmless overall, than general anaesthetics (God, how do you write this word??????????) - they say it is much much safer. Eventually, I did have an epidural later for something else, where I had no choice and I had no problems, it was not bad at all.I did not feel anything.
At the end, they put that little wet creature on my belly - it was just so strange. She was red, covered in that baby material on her skin, and very very tiny, like no babies I had so far seen... The rest of the finishing touches were rather unpleasant, stitches etc. But it won't take for ever, and after that everything is better.
I have read so many birth stories in Kismama, some really touching. Ildi, have you read any of these?
Just before my giving birth, someone I met at the clinic, and her baby had already been born by then, remarked "it was tough". Oh dear I should not be perhaps saying all these, I hope you won't get even more scared. But really, I had not epidural, the gas was not that much of a help, it was mostly acting as sg to hang onto in trouble, and pains are survivable. You must keep repeating to yourself, that these are healthy pain, and your body is acting totally normal, you are not going to be torn apart... Your body is able to survive these pains, and doctors are there. So don't worry so much, especially if you have had no problems so far during the pregnancy. Prepare your bag when time is near, so you don't need to worry about it.
Where will you be giving birth Ildi? Have you got a good doctor? Anyway we will be thinking of you and it will be lovely to hear your story and welcome a new little baby among us Kép
And I agree, do keep chatting to him/her in English, right from the beginning. Maybe your husband will pick up some English too?
Ildi, we enjoyed the joke (me and my colleagues) - it is really funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for it it cheered us up greatly.
Ildi, I thought it would be nice if we could see your picture too, do you think you can put it at the site? We can help you in how to do it.
Girls, I have been hesitant so far, because this is such a happy topic - compared to many others where people can argue with each other for days - but I think I will share it with you now that it looks that I am divorcing... I promise not to talk about such a troublesome issue, unless you specifically ask about it. It is making me sad, but looks the best solution for us instead of the suffering...
Sorry for the bad news and hope you won't get too disappointed in me. Kép Kép

Nora, have you managed to read all our correspondance? It is hard to catch up I know, I felt this way in the new year after the holidays in other topics (a few that I visit).

Ági I have also seen some of your other remarks Kép

I had better go now - last night I managed to hit my lips in an outside door when I went out to feed my dog, it keeps hurting me awfully - like a punch in my face. Kép
Otherwise, I LOVE this topic so don't go away girls please.
You are a nice company to me - I cannot claim a large family, my mother died earlier too, in Germany, in a car accident, so sometimes in troubled periods, I find life a bit harder. You cheer me up all the time, which is great!!
Kati

Hi girls,

I am here again, hope you are not yet bored. Actually one of my typical characteristic features is enthusiasm and being in such a good company makes me enthusiastic.

I read some of your e-mails to try to put myself in the picture and now I am quite informed.
However I do have some questions:
AGi, aren't you on homesick? How long have you been living abroad? It is said that Canada is a great country from a lot of point of views e.g. financials, however people are not so friendly, not to mention the gap between the French and English origin people? What is your impression? Sorry to bother you so many questions, but I do have personal experience on living abroad (6 months in Sicily) and sometimes I found it hard.
I have seen your photo on your profile and your son is just cute. Really. Congratulations. Another question comes into my mind, sorry. How does your husband pronounce his name. I mean as far as I know there is no C like Hungarian CICA sound in the English language.

Thanks for your birth story, it was fair. And makes me think that may be this kind of pain is the only one which has sense. And I agree with your attitude: Be ready for the worst and it won't be that bad. Hopefully.

As per the second language teaching ( I mean in the case of Blanka and my little one, by the way, what is Bence's first language, mother tongue?) I guess we are quite on the same opinion. However let me thank you the useful comments, Kati - I will try to be persistent and not to give up insipite of feeling idiot, Ági- it is very considerable what you mention that the baby will connect the language to the person. However, you must admit that our situation differs a lot. Somehow I can not imagine to speak English all the time to my baby. It would be totally unnatural. Anyway, we will see.

Kati ( I could not manage to see your photos, where should I try), as per your driving licence, I do not know where you are at the moment, but if you read my story, your self confidence will be duplicated, or even triplicated (if there is word like this), for sure.
I have driving license for a year and I do enjoy driving, however I failed altogether 7 times at the different driving tests. No exaggeration. Perhaps I would feel ashamed, but somehow I find it rather amusing. Of course, when happened I felt every failure a tragedy. To produce such a "great" results I did almost everything. E.g. I did not read the book on the traffic signs, not even once, I started several times, but I found too boring, so out of the 7 failures, 6 was from that subject. I think I do not need to say that I was on the verge of giving up. As per the practical one, my husband was so kind to try to train me right before the exam, explaining absolutely different things that my teacher did, so I managed to mix everything on the spot. Anyway, all I can say is that you should listen to nobody but your teacher. He/she will be with you at the exam and he/she will help you to pass. And after you passed, you should listen to nobody but yourself. At least this works in my case.

Some words on me: I have been learining English for 6 years in different schools and I passed the Cambridge Proficiency Exam two years ago. Approx. from that time on my English is getting worse and worse, I do not use it regularly, thus I forget a lot. Unfortunately I have never spent significant period of time in an English speaking country, so you can imagine my poor pronunciation.
As per my family/professional background, I married for a year, my husband is a printing engineer, 30 years old. Before my maternity leave I worked for a multinational company, at the HR Department as a Corporate Affairs Coordinator.
I hope you understand the reason why I will not put photos on me under the Ismerjük meg..etc. I mean there is nothing special in a very pregnant woman and somehow nowdays I start to feel that I look like a pregnant whale, actually I put on 12 kgs during these 8 months. Frustrating, isn't it? Did you have the same problem ?

Ok, I am not shocking you any longer, I am leaving now.
Take care and hope to read your letters soon.
Ildi
blinczi

Girls, sorry for my mistakes - I think I have made more than normally I do.

Hi Kati,

It seems that we were working on our messages paralelly (pls. forgive me the spelling mistakes, but I am not a precise girl).

So thanks for your birth story. I am digesting it now, OK?

Of course I have been reading the Kismama regularly and believe or not, sometimes I start to shed tears on the birth stories ( I know it is ridicoulos and I blame the hormons). They are so nice after all. But every story speaks about that horrible pain. And since I am that kind of person who likes to plan, I gather information on it. By now I start to realize that giving birth is not something one can make plans about.

I will give birth at the Budai Honvéd Hospital which is my personal tragedy. Let me clerify this, I have chosen doctor and not hospital. And when I first visited the hospital I was in the 8.th months, so no way to change. About the hospital you should know that it reflects the 60's, nothing changed from then on, no painkiller such gas or epidural ..etc. So it seems that all I can trust is the doctor and myself. And yes, sometimes I do have doubt whether I can do it or not. Isn't it natural?

How do you put the smiling/sad faces in the text? Please explain me, I like it so much, they are so expressive. But please be aware I am a bit slow at computer skills, so step by step, ok? Thanks.

I regret to hear you are divorcing. It will not be an easy period of time, I guess. And I really would like to say something encouraging, e.g. Felhõk fölött mindig kék az ég (Do you know the English version of it?), but I think there is no sense to cheat, it will be hard. Wish you to have power.

I hope to see your letters soon,
Sorry if I forget to answer or react to something, please remined me next time
regards, Ildi
blinczi

Hi there,

I have to join to Kati, my apologies for the mistakes. Somehow I am always in a hurry, so I have no time to revise my work.

I try to improve I promise.

Bye for today.
Ildi
blinczi

Hi,
Ildi, I have just read your message. I just want to tell you that my photos are at Ismerjük meg egymást, at Nimaat/Katalin és Blanka - this is me! I use this name Nimaat, as many Katalin's can visit around here! Sorry I did not explain this earlier.
I am expecting to be soon able to put a photo under my profile too, so it will be easier to see me.
Ildi, no I would not put my pregnant belly up at internet either, I was actually thinking of an earlier pic of yourself or just a face. But never mind, we can wait, until you can put up a photo of all the three of you!
Yes your driving experiences is interesting - I am expecting to do my final forgalmi test next week, fingers crossed.... X My Kresz went good, as I really studied for it, and I even found it interesting as I never spent much time in traffic earlier, so it was a new topic for me. Routine test I had to do 2x, as I was so nervous the first time, I did not pass.
I put on just about the same amount of kilos as you - of course it depends on your height/previous weight too, whether it is a lot or not so bad, - anyway you can lose the 12 later!
Ildi I would be curious to know where the two of you work(ed) - where I work there is also printing work. Anyway this subject is not really for the internet I guess? Maybe one day we can discuss this in email? I also work for a multinational co. in Budaörs. Did you enjoy HR dept work anyway?
I had better go now, time to go home for me - see you later!

Ildi,
Pls see "Formázás" in the Menu part of the site - you can find lots of info there. For faces, you put ":" then ")", or for the sad one, you replace ")" with "(" ----- I hope these signs come out well when I send the message off? Of course you leave the macskaköröm out and you put both signs side by side with each other. Good luck!
Ildi actually my birth story had appeared in Kismama - if you are interested, I can find out for you in which issue. But expect it to be even more negative - I was in a fairly bad phase when I wrote to the magazine that time. Kép
I used to know the saying about the clouds, but forget now - will try to remember unless Ági you can remember? Oops! I think I know it: Every cloud has a silver lining. Is that the one?

Wow girls!

It's been a long time since I had to read this much in this topic! It took me all morning because Bence didn't let me read the whole thing in one shot.
I'll try to answer everything and make my comments so forgive me if I'll be jumping from one topic to the next.

This frase about the clouds: I never heard it before. But even if you'd translate it straight it would have the meaning. (I never even heard it in Hungarian..)

Smiley faces: You don't even have to go through the formating. The yellow happy ones and the purple sad ones are very easy to make. You just have to put : and ) or : and ( right behind each other. And when you send it it'll show up in graphics.

Ildi, I have to congratulate to you for learning such a good English out of books! I could've never done it! I took English in high school for 4 years and when I came here I realized how much I don't know anything. Plus I had to get used to the pronounciation too. After learning the Britt in school I could not understand a word they said. And ironically now I have a hard time with the really thick Britt accent. So anyway I didn't think it's possible to learn a language this good (like you Ildi) without practicing it and using it all the time. Congratulations again!

Your question about my husband pronouncing Bence: He actually has two names, one English and one Hungarian. So his name is Devon Bence. All people who speak English use Devon and all Hungarians use Bence. He listens to both and connects the names to the languages. It doesn't seem to be confusing to him. But actually Jason can pronounce the Hungarian words and sounds really well. His favorite saying is: sicc ki macska. Kép

Yes, I know there's nothing we can tell you about labour and delivery that will make you feel much better. (At least nothing made me feel better before.) But just try to prepare for the worst and everything else after that is a bonus. Right? Kép Actually the "loughing gas" (that's what they call it here) didn't do much for me. I tried it too but didn't make a difference. They were also offering Demerol and Morfine to me (I don't know the correct spelling) but those go straight into the baby and I didn't want that.

Kati, I'm sorry to hear that you'll be going through a divorce. Is it already decided or you are just thinking about it? I don't want to be personal and ask questions that would make you feel uncomfortable but if you need to talk or you need a shoulder to cry on, you can send me an e-mail.
The CD that I've been meaning to give you the title on, is: Baby's First: Welcome to the World. Don't buy this one. It's a women who sings on it and it's really stupid sounding.
The cukorterheles vizsgalat is Glucose Tolerance Test. I didn't mind that at all. The stuff I had to drink wasn't sweeter than the Fanta Orange and was fizzy like the orange pop too. I don't know what they give you at home. (?)
The fajaserosito is Pitocin.

Ildi, yes I am homesick. And we'll move back home to Hungary by the time Bence goes to school. I just can not live my whole life here. When I moved here I thought I could but I can't. Luckily my husband is willing to make the move. I've been here for almost 6 years.
The French and English conflict doesn't effect me as much here in the west. I'm sure people who are right next to them can feel it more. But I don't have many friends here and actually friendships are way shallower than at home. They don't even have the word "ismeros". They call everybody they know a "friend" so sometimes I feel they don't even know the real meaning of the word.

Your joke was funny! Kép

Well I think I'm the winner again in the length of the stories. Kép So it's your turn now. See you tomorrow!

Agi

Oh, I'll change the picture in my profile to a newer one. I hope it'll come up!

Kép
Kép
agi

Vissza: Errõl - arról

Jegyzetfüzet: